WSDOT emailed out their periodic status report on Eastside transportation stuff today and these tidbits about comments on the SR 520 project came in. We would value comments on the work product of the “SR 520 Legislative Workgroup,” of which I am a member. My opinions about the design of the bridge focus on how well it works in the transportation system, particularly the extra 40 minutes transit riders from Seattle to Redmond would get in their lives each way as a result of getting the bridge done.
Today we released a report that shows how proposed improvements to the State Route 520 corridor from Medina to Redmond would affect transportation and the environment. This report, called an environmental assessment, shows that the proposed project is expected to improve travel times for buses and carpools by completing the HOV system from Medina to Redmond and building median transit stops.
The project, formally called “SR 520, Medina to SR 202: Eastside Transit and HOV Project,” is estimated to cost $776 million. The project also would improve water quality and fish habitat, reconnect communities, and provide new commuting options for bicyclists and pedestrians.
Do you have any comments or questions on the document? We want to hear from you.
To review or comment on the environmental assessment:
- Join us at a public hearing and open house from 5 – 7 p.m., Dec. 16, at Chinook Middle School, 2001 98th Ave. NE, Bellevue.
- View documents and comment online at the SR 520 Web page: www.wsdot.wa.gov/projects/sr520bridge/EastsideEA
- E-mail comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail comments to Bill Blaylock, EA Environmental Manager, 600 Stewart, St., Suite 520, Seattle, WA 98101.
- Visit local libraries in Seattle, Bellevue, Redmond and other locations listed on our Web page to view the document.
- Call the project office at 206-770-3500 to request a free CD and executive summary or to purchase a printed copy of the report.
In order to be included in the final environmental decision documents, all comments must be received or postmarked by Jan. 7, 2010.
SR 520 Legislative Workgroup: Dec. 4 is last day for online comments on west side design, financing
You have until 5 p.m. Friday, Dec. 4 to share your views online about the draft west side design and financing recommendations made by the SR 520 Legislative Workgroup. The panel recently recommended a design option for the Montlake interchange and a financing strategy for the SR 520 corridor.
Also, the draft recommendations report will be posted online Dec. 4. The Legislative Workgroup will consider public comments prior to taking a final vote on their recommendations at their meeting next week.
SR 520 Legislative Workgroup Meeting
When: 10 a.m. to noon, Dec. 8.
Where: Sound Transit, Union Station, Ruth Fisher Board Room, 401 S. Jackson St., Seattle.
Topic: A final vote is scheduled on the panel’s recommendations.
The workgroup will submit a final recommendations report to Gov. Gregoire and the Legislature by Jan. 1, 2010.